Gynaecological & Fertility
Introducing the new Auralia Female Health Clinic:
Meet your consultant
Dr Osman ShamounMB, BCh, MRCPI ,FRCOG,MRCOG
Dr. Osman Shamoun worked as Consultant Gynaecologist at Clane General Hospital and Clane Fertility Clinic since September 2000. Previous to that he was a Consultant in Galway Fertility Centre. He has over 20 years’ experience in Gynaecology and Fertility in Saudi Arabia, England and Ireland. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetrics. In 1997 he commenced a Master’s degree in Clinical Sciences at the University College Galway. In 2000, Dr. Shamoun joined Clane Fertility Clinic to continue his assisted conception and fertility management work. During his time in Clane, Dr. Shamoun was the person responsible for the Fertility Clinic (a requirement under the EU Directive 2006 – Quality and Safety of Human Tissues and Cells).
Women’s Health Gynaecological Check-up:
- Endometriosis, polycystic ovary syndrome, abnormal bleeding and pelvic pain, Family Planning and Menopausal Disorders.
- Gynaecological Diagnostics: Ultrasound scan, hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, bone density screening, cervical smears and cancer screening.
Reduced fertility in women:Ovulation problems due to irregular periods are the most common cause for low fertility in women. Also, conditions such as endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease and appendicitis can block the fallopian tubes resulting in the eggs inability to travel from the ovary to the uterus. Fibroids can develop in the uterus and occasionally they can result in issues with the implantation of a fertilized egg. A woman’s age is an important factor because the quality of the eggs can reduce over time and the risk of miscarriage is higher due to increasing genetic faults.
Reduced fertility in men:Male fertility reduces with age. Also, a genetic condition, injury or illness can cause sperm count to be low or nil. The quality of sperm can be poor for a variety of reasons for example; smoking, drinking, medication or an illness. This can result in the sperm not being able to reach the egg or fertilise the egg.
- Fertility and Reproductive Medicine: Initial assessment of fertility potentials (ovulation, tubal patency, ovarian reserve, hormones and semen analysis).
- Contraceptive advice
- Mirena coil insertion and removal
Early Pregnancy Assessment:
Ultrasound scan, miscarriages and early pregnancy problems.
- Fertility treatment and assisted conception monitoring.
- Ovarian cysts aspiration under Ultrasound guidance.
- Ultrasound satellite monitoring for IVF and fertility treatment.
A facility to help patients planning on receiving treatment abroad, to allow them to have their Ultrasound, blood tests and prescriptions without the need to travel abroad .