Reduces the capacity of the stomach, for long term weight loss
Specialising in Gastric band and Gastric balloon Procedures, our team of world class Surgeons and Health Care Specialists create change through partnership and trust. At Auralia, Patient care is at the forefront of the agenda when it comes to weight loss surgery, and positions Auralia as the leading provider of procedures in Ireland.
The gastric sleeve, also known as a sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical procedure during which the capacity of the stomach is dramatically decreased in order to aid weight loss. The procedure involves the permanent removal of a large portion of the stomach. This reduces the size of the stomach from the size of a football to the size of banana, which has a capacity to hold only a small portion of food. The procedure involves using keyhole (Laparoscopic) surgery under a general anaesthetic. Your surgeon will remove a large part of your stomach and the remaining portions of your stomach are joined together using surgical staples. This creates a long vertical tube or banana-shaped stomach.
As a result of this much smaller stomach, patients feel full after eating much less food. Patients also feel less hungry between meals.If your BMI score is over 35+, and have not been able to lose weight through diet and exercise, surgery may help you to achieve long-term weight loss. Gastric sleeve surgery may also help if you suffer from other weight-related medical conditions such as Type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure. Used In conjunction diet and a modified lifestyle, a gastric sleeve can help patients achieve long-term weight loss, greatly improving their health and wellbeing.
...nine stone lighter and returning for a tummy tuck in 4 weeks. I can't express how professional and friendly all the team here are. I have heard and read so many bad stories about going abroad, you may pay slightly more staying in Ireland but it's so worth it.
The nurses and doctors where extremely attentive and helpful.
I was treated beautifully from my first phone call and still.
Treatment was great. Was kept very comfortable and had one to one aftercare. Nurses, doctors and staff are all very lovely, pleasant, knowledgeable people.
Went to the Dublin clinic and I cannot fault one staff member. From the girls at the front to the nurses and anesthesiologist at the back and Dr Salman himself, everybody was extremely professional, compassionate and friendly. Follow up care is fantastic and the results speak for themselves. I would highly recommend Auralia."
Going for a Gastric Band in Auralia clinic has been the best decision I’ve ever made. They have been looking after me since day one and aftercare is brilliant. Thanks to Auralia I’ve lost over 4.5 stone. Now I’m able to run 10k and numerous half marathons which I was never able to run before.
About this treatment
How does a gastric sleeve work?
Weight loss with a gastric sleeve works in two ways.
- The volume of the stomach is reduced and becomes resistant to stretching. What this means is that you feel fuller after eating smaller amounts of food.
- Ghrelin, the hormone responsible for stimulating appetite, is usually produced in the fundus of the stomach which is removed during surgery. This causes ghrelin levels to fall which means you end up with more loss for appetite.
Apart from these two main mechanisms of the stomach, the sleeve also helps change your preferences for food. It reduces the need for sweet and fatty foods and reduces the want for alcoholic drinks.
What are the health benefits of a gastric sleeve?
Gastric sleeves have a lot of health benefits, including:
- Reduced chances of having a heart attack or stroke
- Resolution or improvement of Type 2 diabetes
- Reduces fatigue and daytime sleepiness
- Improves back and joint pain
- Reduces stress incontinence
- Improves asthma
- Reduces the chances of having fatty liver disease often associated with obesity
- Improves the patient psychological well-being
- Reduces depression and anxiety
- Improves social interaction and the overall quality of life
How much weight can I lose with a gastric sleeve?
Short term weight loss
The initial weight loss for the average patient with a gastric sleeve is quite high. Though it is largely dependent on your current weight and your weight loss goal. A typical weight loss would be between 6 and 7 stone (38 – 44 kg) within the first year.
A patient’s weight loss is largely dependent on how much effort they put into the nutritional and exercise program. Generally, the more you interact with the program, the more successful you will be. However, Auralia Weight Loss Clinic has never had a patient who simply hasn’t lost weight on our gastric sleeve program.
Whilst every person is different, we would expect our gastric sleeve patients to lose around 6-7 stone within the first 12 months. However, many of our patients have lost as much as 11 stone within this time. This is largely dependent on how compliant the patient is with the after-care program.
The gastric sleeve offers a dramatic weight loss relatively easily but unlike the gastric band, the long term weight loss isn’t as favoured.
Long term weight loss
The gastric sleeve gives you a dramatic weight loss early but the long term results show that the patients actually regain weight over time.
This weight regain occurs due to a combination of stretching the gastric remnant (what’s left of the stomach after the surgery), poor dietary habits, and the return of appetite thanks to an increase in ghrelin levels.
What are the risks of a gastric sleeve?
Out of all our available surgical weight loss procedures, the gastric sleeve carries the most risk.
The three main risks to having a gastric sleeve fitted are:
- Bleeding: This is the most common complication to occur. A blood transfusion may be required with a re-operation, but it can be managed without further surgery.
- Leakage: This is the most dangerous complication to occur and it happens when the contents of the stomach leak through the long-staple line. It can occur in the first couple of days after the surgery. It is difficult to manage and may require the patient to stay in the hospital longer.
- Reflux: If you have a history of heartburn (reflux) then you won’t be able to opt for the gastric sleeve. This is because your reflux will become worse after the operation and you will be less likely to receive successful weight loss. Chronic reflux can be a really serious problem in the lower gullet (oesophagus) which is why this risk should not be taken lightly.
Am I eligible for a gastric sleeve?
To qualify for a gastric sleeve you must:
- Be between the ages of 25-50
- Have a BMI of 40 kg/m2 or higher
- Have no history of reflux/heartburn
- Have no history of previous weight loss procedures
- Be completely aware of the risks and benefits of the gastric sleeve
The advantages and disadvantages of gastric sleeves
- Excellent initial weight loss
- Does not require frequent clinic attendance for adjustments
- Reduces hunger hormones (unlike the gastric band)
- Preservation of normal passage of food through the stomach (unlike gastric bypass)
- Supplementation to avoid nutritional deficiencies
- Increased risk of reflux post-surgery
- Need for long-term vitamin and mineral
- Risk of leak and bleeding – sleeve is the riskiest procedure
- The tendency to weight regain in longer-term
Would you like to view our brochure?
If you would like to download our brochure on weight loss treatments at Auralia, simply click here. You can print it our save it to read at your convenience. Alternately, you can call any our team on 01 612 0551 and we would be happy to post more information to you.
Before & After Photos